Monday, September 19, 2011

Bluegills, Crappies and bass! 9/17-18

I finally got up to fish with Patrick Kealy Olson this weekend. We had talked about it for a couple of years now. It almost seemed like we had fished many times before, since we chatted often on the internet and seen many pics of his adventures. We had a great time on a couple of lakes in the bemidji area he had lined up for us.
The first day we hit a bigger lake with his friend who had a small boat. We started looking for gills in their usual spot, but it was too windy, so we found a calm cove that had some nice clear water with deep grass that held quite a few bass and a few pike. A few bluegills showed up and were pretty nice sized. I should have got more photos, but I was into getting video clips that I will post later. The one bluegill I got a pic of was 10.7 inches!
The next day we hit a small bass pond his relatives live on, with the float tubes. Patrick went to chase some panfish while I worked the pads with a plastic frog. I got a few right away, they were really aggressive, nailing the frog good, but they were pretty small fish. I went out to the edge and worked a jig in deeper with the same results.
Patrick was in deep water jigging with a short ice fishing rod with a forage minnow spoon tipped with gulp minnows, and hammering the nice gills and crappies. I was wishing I had a shortie too, but had to settle for my 10 ft crappie rod. threw a leech on a jig and dropped it down in around 18 ft, and got a nice big bluegill! It was nonstop action for gills with the leech and nice sized ones too. I decided to try for the crappies, and in place of the leech I put on a purple radical glow tube and started getting good crappies, some over a pound!

Thanks for the great weekend Patrick! It was a blast!














4 comments:

Dale the Truck Driver said...

Want to get some big fish? The Caribbean is always great for fishing. Search Isla Mujeres Boats.

Michael Thompson said...

Sure! when are we going Dale?

breamreaper said...

Never heard of a purple radical glow tube - who makes them?

Michael Thompson said...

Breamreaper,
Radical glow tackle makes them I believe, you can get them at sportsmensdirect.com