Sunday, April 13, 2008

Back on and in the river

I got out fishing and to meet some other fishers from fishing minnesota. They were not there yet so I got my yak in the water and putzed around in front of the landing.

I must have hit a boat wake sideways and over I went!

No big deal, I got good at flipping it over last summer and getting back in, but for some reason it was not working that way today, I couldn't get it back over. It was quite embarrassing as there were a ton of people watching me flounder about, probably sure I was about to drown. Luckily no one called 911 anyways. Someone in a bigger motorboat came out to lend a hand, they took my yak and fishing gear and brought it to shore for me and left before I could thank him. I got to slog my way to the ramp, a sea kayaker came up to offer me a tow, that was cool, got all my stuff together, except my anchor, oops forgot to tie it on, now it is on the bottom somewhere.
I had my dry top and chest waders on so I really didn't get too wet even though I was swimming for a bit, so I decided to head back out for some MORE fun! First I had to convince some of the concerned people on shore that I was not cold and going into hypothermia.
I told them I was not very wet and not cold at all. (I guess that is what all people say right before they freeze to death!)
I was a little clammy I guess with some water in my feet area and my seat, but I warmed up fine paddeling up stream.
Reelemin was up stream aways and didn't get to watch my dunking. Franchiz then came out in his cool looking rigged up fishin yak. we decided to try paddeling to the dam to try some of my spots but the water was really flowing hard and I was not up for another swim so we decided to just drift down and fish. about half way back with no bites I got a snag. I paddled up past it til it appeard to be free, then drifted back towards it, only it was still snagged. and I was drifting so fast , no time to open my bail...SNAP! there goes my rod in two places! bummer, looks like I got a dunking, a skunking and lost my rod too, oh well, still had a blast! am I crazy or what?
YES!
but I met a new fishing friend,and I never did get cold!


Franchiz in his cool yak



At the landing..
I'll be back, but I want the water to go down about three feet first so I can get to my favorite spots!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are INSANE!!!!!!
Pelican will be open sometime this week. relax have a beer, take a breath, and LET's go to PEL. this week or sun afternoon. Was it you G.M. panfish rad?
Fishface.

Anonymous said...

I ment rod

Anonymous said...

Oh look!
YOu got another
CARP!
Called FISHFACE

Anonymous said...

Had a great time and it was nice to meet you and Tami. Maybe next time we can stay out a little longer. Anyway, I'll keep my eyes on the forum for more opportunities.

Brent 'Franchiz' Peterson

Michael Thompson said...

Cool fishface, I should have my fishcat ready to go soon, yeah it was the panfish rod, good thing they are cheap eh? give me a call when the bite is on!

Brent, yeah, good to meet you, sorry the fish were not around.
After bass opener you will have to come down some saturday I will take you to a really great bass lake, you will catch em til your thumbs fall off!

Basspastor said...

If I needed any convincing that Yak fishing is not for me. You just provided it.

Since it is a Gander Mtn rod you should take it in and see if they will replace it.

Michael Thompson said...

Well BP,looks like you will miss a fun and effective way to catch huge bass, remember all the hawgs last year all in the yak except Bebe, plus all the good excercise..
Just because I suck, oh well.

I don't think they replace rods do to angler error, but I could ask I guess, thanks...

Basspastor said...

What "angler error?" I'm guessing you weren't using heavy line. The line should break before the rod snaps in two.

Michael Thompson said...

yaH Youbetchya good point only 3 pound test shoulda broke the line!
are ya coming to the spring outing this year? also we are doing the gem crappie outing this april26th on rush lake I will have the pontoon, come on out!

Kevin Dahlke said...

What a trooper you are MT and looked like one of those days that you should of stayed in bed...but us fishers are a strange breed and the things that we put ourselves through to catch those fin and scaled creatures...always a thrill reading your adventures...

Michael Thompson said...

Thanks for the encouragement BWS! we must get together sometime!

Basspastor said...

Yes I plan on making the spring outing. I need to get my money and camp form sent to Lowell pretty quick.

Michael Thompson said...

cool! see ya there!